Chiesa di San Francesco Pienza
CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES
It’s one of the most ancient Franciscan buildings in Italy and it’s the only outstanding building, that has survived in the ancient village of Corsignano. The church dates back to the end of the XIIIth century. It presents a simple facade with only one portal surmounted by a circular window. The interior is at one nave and it’s covered with trusses. On the walls of the choir, the Franciscan legend is narrated. These frescoes have been attributed by some scholars to the Sienese Cristofano di Bindoccio, nicknamed Malabarba, known between 1361 and 1401. The beautiful crucifix , painted on a panel, is attributed to a master painter, similar to Segna di Buonaventura, one of Duccio’s pupils. On the altar on the left, there’s a panel by Luca Signorelli, titled Madonna of Mercy with Saint Sebastian and Saint Bernardino. Following the most recent restoration, in 2002, the church has been enriched by four art works executed by the Sienese sculptor, Massimo Lippi.