Museo Archeologico Nazionale Etrusco Chiusi
PHONE NUMBERS AND TIMES
Museo Archeologico Nazionale Etrusco
via porsenna 93 Chiusi
Telephone 0578-20177 Fax 0578-224452
Business card (vCard)
ORARI DI APERTURA E VISITA:
OPENING HOURS Everyday from 9a.m. to 8p.m.
Closed on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December
The National Archeological Museum of Chiusi, founded in 1871, was transferred to the present location, inside a neoclassical building, only in 1902. Doubled in 1932, to be able to host the material coming from the Collection Paolozzi and Mieli Servadio, it was damaged during Second World War and it became part of the State in 1963. The present set up, inaugurated in 1992, is divided in three sections. The first is dedicated to the history of the archeological research in Chiusi, in the past centuries, to the growth of the museum and to the documentation of the activity of falsifying the findings, that flourished quite a bit in 1800. The central section concentrates on the development of local artistic craftsmanship : worthy of notice the anthropomorphic bone canopies, that the people of Chiusi produced in abundance, the funerary sculpture, the “bucchero” ( a particular Etruscan Technique) vases and the architectural clay pieces. The third section, the topographic one, gathers the findings from the most recent diggings. It’s been reconstructed the articulate phenomenon of the urbanization of Chiusi, the development of the urban necropolis and the populating of the territory of Chiusi. There’s a restoration laboratory, annexed to the Museum, that provides guided tours on request.